Saturday, March 5, 2011

Crochet in Manila: Babette blanket

If you love knitting or crochet, you'll have a hard time finding yarn in Manila. Basically there are only 2 types available: a very thin cotton yarn and a bulky, but not very pleasant acrylic. Both are quite OK for general crafts but for clothing or home accessories I have always wanted something different. There is now a small store on the top floor of Glorietta 5 which carries some other imported yarns, but it is only a tiny collection. I've never really crocheted much before but when I saw the Babette blanket ( pattern) the Interweave website, I really wanted to make it. I ordered some yarn in europe and supplemented them with the local Monaco and Canon cotton yarns which I then used double on a 3.5mm crochet needle. This actually works quite well and produces quite a decent hand feel. Here is a photo of the work in process (for over a year now!). I am posting it as a reminder to myself to actually get around to finishing it sometime in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment